Security Investments Save Lives
Today, the Government of Ontario announced a $25 million investment to establish the Ontario Grant to Support Anti-Hate Security Measures.
Toronto, ON –Today, the Government of Ontario announced a $25 million investment to establish the Ontario Grant to Support Anti-Hate Security Measures for Faith-Based and Cultural Organizations. This grant supports the security needs of vulnerable institutions such as houses of worship and community centres.
In response, Noah Shack, Vice President at the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs issued the following:
“Despite being one of the most diverse and welcoming places in the world, Ontario is not immune to antisemitism. Statistics Canada data consistently show Jews – who comprise less than 1% of Canada’s population – are the most frequent targets of hate crime.
“The hostage-taking at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas is the latest chilling reminder of the dangerous threat the Jewish community faces. Institutions, including synagogues and Jewish community centres, spend millions of dollars on security measures every year so Jewish Ontarians can gather safely.
“Investments in security planning, infrastructure, and training save lives. The Ontario Grant to Support Anti-Hate Security Measures will rapidly assist an expanded number of organizations to keep their communities safe. We are grateful to Premier Ford and Minister Gill for their decisive action and meaningful response to this persistent threat.”
The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA) is the advocacy agent of the Jewish Federations across Canada.
- Ontario Grant to Support Anti-Hate Security Measures for faith-based and cultural communities
- Ontario municipal leaders gather for antisemitism Summit – CIJA
- Toronto Jewish Community Raises Concerns About Massive Spike In Local Antisemitism
- CIJA welcomes Government of Canada decision to host summit to combat antisemitism
- UJA Community Security reports dangerous fivefold spike in antisemitic incidents
- Press Release: Toronto and York Region Hate Crime Statistics Underscore Troubling Persistence of Antisemitism – CIJA – The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs
- Ontario Municipal Leaders Summit Pledge
Stay In the Know!
Get all the latest information from our newsletter, "This Week in Canadian Jewish Advocacy."