Hate Has No Place Online (Or Anywhere Else)
Min. Rodriguez announces expert advisory group on online safety as a next step in developing legislation to address harmful online content.
Expert advisory group launched to tackle harmful online content
Toronto, ON – Today, the Minister of Canadian Heritage, Pablo Rodriguez, announced a new expert advisory group on online safety as a next step in developing legislation to address harmful online content.
In response, Richard Marceau, VP of External Affairs and General Counsel at the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA) issued the following:
“Combatting online hate and promoting online safety has long been a CIJA priority. We are encouraged that this next step is finally moving forward and will continue to consult with the government to ensure that the panel – as useful as it might be in introducing concepts or approaches for consideration – does not serve as a proxy for the stakeholder communities most impacted.
“As we have done for the last five years, we will continue to represent our constituency who is disproportionately at risk of encountering online hate, and play a central role working constructively and collaboratively with government in developing this important legislation.”
- Government of Canada announces expert advisory group on online safety (news release from the Government of Canada)
- The Canadian Coalition to Combat Online Hate, of which CIJA is a founding member, launched CombatOnlineHate.ca, a resource portal providing youth, parents, educators, and policymakers with strategic tools to be effective in efforts to identify and combat online hate. (Press release)
- The time is now. Combating online hate requires swift action!
- Like most Canadians, the Canadian Coalition to Combat Online Hate wants action on online hate
- Open letter from the Canadian Coalition to Combat Online Hate
- New Online Hate poll from the CRRF and Nanos Research
About The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs
The Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA) is the advocacy agent of Jewish Federations across Canada.
For more information or to arrange interviews about this or any topic concerning the Jewish community, contact:
Director, Media Relations and GTA Communications
Stay In the Know!
Get all the latest information from our newsletter, "This Week in Canadian Jewish Advocacy."