This Week in Canadian Jewish Advocacy, May 7, 2023
Antisemitism is very much alive – thriving in Canada as it is around the world. But there is something you can do about it!
October 16-17, join forces with like-minded Jewish Canadians and allies from across Canada to face, fight, and push back against antisemitism.
Register today to become part of the largest community gathering from coast to coast to coast standing strong, speaking with one voice!
It’s time to face it, and it’s time to fight it. Learn more at www.fightit.ca
On On October 3, 1980, a bomb exploded outside the Rue Copernic synagogue in Paris, France, during Shabbat service. It was the worst attack against Jews in France since the end of the Second World War and it was deadly, killing four and wounding 46.
In November, 2014, Professor Hassan Diab, a Canadian of Lebanese descent, was extradited to France and formally charged with the terrorist attack. However, after a French court dismissed the charges in 2019, he returned to Canada. In 2021, the charges were reinstated by a French court and, in 2023, after failing to appear at his trial, Diab was tried in absentia. On April 21, Diab was convicted of the murders and sentenced to life imprisonment. He remains a free man in Canada.
In The Globe and Mail this week, CIJA Vice President Richard Marceau and CRIF President Yonathan Arfi jointly called on the Canadian government to ensure justice is served for victims of the Copernic synagogue bombing by extraditing Hassan Diab immediately.
On Monday, May 22 (Victoria Day) join the Toronto Jewish community at Earl Bales Park for UJA Federation of Greater Toronto’s annual Walk with Israel, the largest single-day Israel solidarity walk in the Jewish world.
Starting at 9:30 a.m. at Earl Bales Park, the walk will end at 11:00 a.m. at UJA's Sherman Campus with an Israeli-themed beach party featuring music, dancing, entertainment, and delicious food for the whole family.
CIJA in the News
- Un ado arrêté pour avoir brûlé des drapeaux israéliens (Journal Metro)
- Éditoriaux avec Hugo Lavoie : Combien va coûter la nouvelle mouture du 3e lien? (Tout un matin – Ici Radio-Canada Première)
- Coupable d’un attentat terroriste en France, Hassan Diab doit être extradé (La Presse)
- Countering lies and hate (Jewish Independent)
- Opinion: Found guilty of the French synagogue attack, Hassan Diab must be extradited (The Globe and Mail)
- Thousands of Montrealers turn out to celebrate Israel’s 75th anniversary (The Suburban)
- Faut-il extrader Hassan Diab? (Le Devoir)
- Ontario NDP distances itself from newly elected MPP’s Twitter repost about Palestinian hunger striker (The Globe and Mail)
- A program in Jerusalem that brings Jews and Palestinians together showcased in Montreal (The Suburban)
May 25-27 | Shavuot
October 16-17 | Antisemitism: Face It, Fight It
Chief Executive Officer, Jewish Federation of Winnipeg
Stay In the Know!
Get all the latest information from our newsletter, "This Week in Canadian Jewish Advocacy."