Job Title: Associate Director, University Relations and Public Education
Type: 1-year contract, full time
Reports to: Vice President, Pacific Region CIJA
The Associate Director, University Relations and Public Education will be responsible for coordinating CIJA’s advocacy activities with university administrations, and K-12 entities across BC. This is a full-time, 1-year contract position on secondment from the Jewish Federation to CIJA.
The ideal candidate will be a confident, experienced individual with excellent judgment, flexibility, a capacity to master new tasks quickly, and the ability to work both independently and in a team. An organized team player with exceptional people skills and an ability to build meaningful relationships with stakeholders on campus, in the public school system, and in the Jewish community. The candidate will be able to analyze and advance advocacy concerns in the university environment, as well as in the public school system. The ideal candidate possesses excellent communications skills, a strong knowledge of the university and public education sectors, familiarity with the Jewish community, and a willingness to learn. This position reports to the Vice President, Pacific Region.
Key Areas of Responsibility
- Work closely with the Vice President, CIJA Pacific Region, and the Director, University Relations to develop and advance CIJA’s advocacy priorities in the university and public education sectors.
- Building and maintaining key relationships with university administrations, especially the President, VP Research, Provost, VP Communications, Human Rights staff, relevant Deans, etc. in coordination with the Director, University Relations
- Building and maintaining key relationships with public school system administrations, especially with Superintendents, Associate Superintendents, District Principals for Equity Diversity and Inclusion, Principals, Vice Principals, and Communications Officers, etc.
- Assessing and advancing advocacy concerns in the university environment and the K-12 sector.
- Interacting with university and public-school authorities to advance solutions to challenges experienced by Jewish students and staff related to antisemitism, anti-Israel incidents, and diversity and inclusion of Jewish experiences
- Coordinating public affairs relations efforts with CIJA staff across the country to develop and implement best practices for campus and K-12 advocacy
- Maintain and grow a network of relevant contacts
- Other duties as required.
Job Skills and Requirements
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Enjoyment working in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Proven capacity to solve problems
- Comfortable making difficult decisions
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Experience in the field of politics and/or public policy. Is an asset
- Motivation supported by working with a collaborative team
- Ease with public speaking
- Experience in pro-Israel and / or Jewish advocacy is an asset
- Proficiency in MS Office, and have the ability to effectively learn and use additional systems, including client database software and cloud-based applications
- Experience in academia or public educational settings, including holding an advanced degree, is an asset
- Do not mind working flexible hours that include travel, evenings, and weekends as required.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please email your resume with cover letter (quoting “Associate Director, University Relations and Public Education” in the subject line) to [email protected] Tell us how you can use your skills to benefit our team and the communities we serve!
Resumes that do not include a cover letter will not be considered.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Stay In the Know!
Get all the latest information from our newsletter, "This Week in Canadian Jewish Advocacy."