The Words & Deeds Leadership Award Dinner is a joint undertaking by the Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs (CIJA) and Jewish Federations across Canada.
Recognition by the Jewish community of the important accomplishments of leaders whose selfless contributions to the wellbeing of the community have enhanced the lives of all Canadians, the Words & Deeds Leadership Award is presented at a gala Dinner with 800-1000 guests – community leaders from business and academia and from religious, cultural and volunteer sectors joining politicians at local, regional, and federal levels. The inaugural Words & Deeds Dinner was hailed in the national media as ‘the business event of the year.’ It is a national award that recognizes leaders whose contribution to humanitarian causes and to tolerance, inclusion and civil discourse in Canadian society is truly outstanding. Recipients of the award are those who demonstrate – by their words and deeds – that the efforts of one can lead to the benefit of many.
Past recipients of the Words & Deeds Leadership Award:
- The Asper Family and the Asper Foundation, Winnipeg
- Kathleen Wynne, Ontario Premier
- Gord Nixon, Chief Executive Officer, RBC Financial Group
- The late Ted Rogers, Chief Executive Officer RCI Communications Inc.
- The Richardson Family, Winnipeg
- Tony Gagliano, Executive Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, St. Joseph Communications Inc.
- Sarabjit S. (Sabi) Marwah, Vice-Chairman and Chief Administrative Officer, Scotiabank
In September 2015 CIJA and the Jewish Federation of Winnipeg will present the Words & Deeds Award to the Asper Family and the Asper Foundation for their outstanding community work.
Funds raised at the Dinners are shared between the local Federation and CIJA.