We hope you and your family are safe and well during these very challenging times. Over Shavuot, there was some concerning antisemitic activity across Canada outlined in this statement issued jointly a few moments ago by all Jewish Federations across the country.
Our security team has been carefully tracking the situation and is in touch with law enforcement who are taking the situation very seriously. This is a time for caution, calm, and careful action.
Our community strength and resilience rests in our ability to come together and to stand together in moments like these. Every one of us can take meaningful action in response to the antisemitism we have seen over the last few days.
Here are some actions you can take:
- If you see something, say something. If you are harassed, or witness harassment, call the police immediately. If it is safe to do so, photograph the anti-Israel activists that are perpetrating the harassment, and share those images with police. Relay that information to CIJA at [email protected] and to your local Federation.
- Follow your local federation on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram where they regularly share news and information. Follow CIJA on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram where we regularly share news and information.
- Visit www.cija.ca/israelunderfire where you will find information about what is happening in Israel, points to consider, and content you can share on social media. Use care in sharing material on social media. If you are unsure of the source or accuracy, consider if passing the information along helps or hinders the situation.
- Write to your local Member of Parliament to register your concerns. That is what they are there for. You can access their contact information here.
- Contact your local media. You can draw on the messages contained in this statement released jointly by all Federations across Canada about the domestic situation or use the resources pertaining to the conflict in Israel found here.
- We will continue to provide you with the most up to date, reliable information concerning events as they unfold.
|Joel Reitman||Jeffrey Rosenthal|
|Co-Chair, CIJA Board||Co-Chair, CIJA Board|