Resources for Israel-Hamas War 2023
The Jewish campus community is experiencing unprecedented levels of antisemitism and serious concerns for personal safety. The following resources are for concerned community members looking to do more to address concerns regarding the situation on our Canadian universities and college campuses.
Reports that raise concerns over safety and harassment have the greatest potential to be taken seriously by the institution. Hillels on campuses across Canada help students file formal complaints with their university administrators. CIJA supports students through the reporting process at campuses without a Hillel presence.
Parents, please share these tips with your student-aged children:
- If you feel a threat to your safety, call 911 immediately.
- For non-emergencies, find the contact information for your campus security and save it in your phone.
- Document everything you see and experience, in and out of the classroom, even online. Take screenshots and photos, if safe to do so. This information will be useful for law enforcement and for reporting to the administration. You should share this info with your Hillel or with CIJA, even if you don't report to the administration.
- Locate the Code of Conduct resources on your university website and submit formal complaints using the relevant reporting procedures for that institution. Hillel is available to help you, and CIJA will help if you do not have a Hillel on your campus.
- Find the listing details of your campus mental health and wellness resources and take advantage of these services.
- Remember, you are not alone Hillel and other campus organizations are here for you!
For non-students who want to take action, here are some important steps to consider:
- Write a letter to the institution with clear requests for safety and accountability using a customized version of the template below. We have also created this simple reference guide if you have a meeting with a senior administrator at the institution."
- Learn to advocate effectively on important issues by subscribing to CIJA’s newsletter or requesting resources from us directly, such as Top 10 Things To Know and Share.
- Stay informed by following @cijainfo on X/Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Add your voice to the community’s advocacy efforts by amplifying important advocacy posts on these platforms.
For more resources, questions, and connections with Hillel or university representatives, please contact:
Director, University Relations
Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs