Calling Jewish Community Leaders!
Are you a dynamic, visionary leader, with a deep commitment to community and a passion for enriching Jewish life and culture? Do you believe that a strong community hub forms the cornerstone for Jewish connection, cultural activities, and social well being? If you are ready to inspire, innovate and make a meaningful contribution, this is your chance to lead with purpose and build a legacy within the Ottawa Jewish Community. You will be at the helm of exciting programs, forging strong relationships, and driving strategic initiatives that will have a lasting impact for future generations.
The Ottawa Soloway Jewish Community Centre needs your help! Ready to make a difference? Apply now and become an integral part of our journey in nurturing a strong and vibrant Jewish community centre of the future.
Contact us at [email protected] if you are interested in learning more. We would love to hear from you.
The Soloway JCC (SJCC) has been a cornerstone to the Jewish community amidst the Nation’s Capital for over six (6) decades. Headquartered in the central Ottawa, the SJCC is easily accessible throughout the city and in the hub of the Jewish Community Campus to allow for effective cross programming. With a mandate to support the Jewish and Ottawa community with quality education, social networking and camaraderie, and recreational / wellness and cultural programs, the SJCC has served thousands of members, and non-members in the city. The facility offers a worldclass fitness facility, spin studio, indoor & outdoor pools, basketball, and racquetball courts to meet all recreational needs for every demographic. The SJCC has mastered the art of childcare, offering a unique experience to all children, and leveraging the amazing facility to provide parents and children with a home away from home. With a program for everyone, the SJCC offers hundreds of quality and unique programming for all age groups. Looking to ensure every member feels a sense of belonging from the moment they enter the SJCC, the staff work tirelessly to deliver a fantastic experience to everyone.
Considering a relocation to the Nation’s Capital? Boasting a population of a million people, Ottawa offers a stellar quality of life, stable employment opportunities with a robust private, public & NGO sector, and is the home of excellent schools with diverse programs that attract families from all over the world. With close proximity to beautiful nature, and an abundance of outdoor activities available through four seasons, Ottawa is one of Canada’s only bilingual cities and hub of multiculturalism. The Ottawa Jewish community is a warm and welcoming family that offers Jewish day schools, summer camps, synagogues, social services, elderly care and worldclass facility to congregate. A vital part of the city’s fabric, the Jewish community has enriched many lives and organizations through extensive charity work.
About the role of President & COO
The SJCC is embarking on a search for a new President & COO to help guide the organization into a new phase of growth. With the pending retirement of the current executive, the SJCC sees this as a unique opportunity for the right person to influence and direct the future vision of the organization. We are looking for a leader to step into the role of the President & COO, who values and exhibits integrity, innovation, and a passion for community life. You will advocate the SJCC’s corporate mission and vision while reimagining programming in a post pandemic environment that promotes the SJCC as premier destination for Jewish life in Ottawa.
Mission: The SJCC is the gathering place to build community through lifelong learning, recreation, wellness, and cultural connection to Israel.
Vision: To be the multigenerational hub of Jewish life in Ottawa and a leading community center for all those who wish to join and participate.
Strategic Planning & Organizational Leadership
- Provide vision, and strategic leadership in partnership with the board of directors and staff.
- Supervise, mentor, and coach members of the senior leadership team.
- Ensure quality, safety, and effectiveness of SJCC programs.
- Lead and manage the fundraising partnerships & campaigns, particularly stewardship with major donors.
- Build strong partnerships within the Jewish & corporate communities and engage with key stakeholders.
- Create the annual budget developed with the Finance Committee and the CFO
- Achieve or exceed annual budget, P&L targets established in annual strategic plan.
- Partner with community stakeholders to effectively manage Shared Services providers on campus.
- Monitor financial performance and review opportunities for new revenue or cost saving opportunities.
- Ensure overall sustainability of the JCC by maintaining a pulse on fundraising campaigns, grant opportunitiess and program initiatives.
Programming & Membership Services
- Ensure quality and effectiveness of JCC programs by reviewing the strategy, deliverables, and metrics of all SJCC services.
- Support the programming department in creating Jewish content and programs that help drive membership and engagement.
- Establish membership targets with the BoD and monitor progress against targets; support the Membership Manager in meeting metrics.
- Collaborate with the BoD to set goals that will advance the vision of the SJCC to be the multi-generational hub that caters to the diverse needs and interests of the Jewish community.
- Deliver high-quality programs that conform to best practices, safety standards and regulatory requirements.
Facilities & Operations
- Establish a vision for facility enhancements that may add to the customer experience.
- Create the annual maintenance plan & budget in collaboration with the Facilities Manager
- Oversee efficient operational procedures, security protocols and systems and ensure compliance to all legal and regulatory needs for Health & Safety, provincial & federal requirements.
Marketing & Communication
- Modernize SJCC marketing and communications mechanisms and leverage all traditional and digital platforms.
- Increase awareness of SJCC services/events within the Jewish and greater Ottawa community.
- Support the VP Marketing in creating critical communications, corporate policy guidelines, marketing & communication collateral, and internal / external messaging on behalf of the SJCC.
Stakeholder / Community Engagement & Fundraising
- Cultivate strong and lasting partnerships with key stakeholders (community, corporate peers, donors, etc.)
- Be a visible presence in the Jewish community and act as the primary spokesperson on behalf of the SJCC at community events, board meetings, conferences etc.
- Set fundraising strategy and goals, with guidance from BoD, and work with stakeholders to steward successful multi-program fundraising efforts.
- Identify diverse fundraising opportunities and nurture relationships with donors and community partners to ensure sustainable funding for meeting ongoing corporate objectives and facility obligations.
To qualify for the President & COO role, we are looking for someone who meets the following criteria and can demonstrate proven experience in the following areas.
- Brings sound judgement & accountability to all planning, decision making, and problem-solving.
- Extensive experience (10+ years minimum) in progressive and senior leadership roles, preferably within a nonprofit or community organization.
- Proven track record in strategic planning, financial management and operational leadership
- Strong understanding of Jewish culture, traditions, values, and a passion for community engagement and serving the Jewish community needs.
- Proven ability leveraging excellent communication and listening skills to steward and nurture relationships with donors, community and facility members, board members while engaging & influencing a diverse stakeholder group.
Please send your resume to [email protected] before November 30th, 2023 for consideration.
Stay In the Know!
Get all the latest information from our newsletter, "This Week in Canadian Jewish Advocacy."