Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad is infamous for making outrageous and bizarre statements, usually in the most public forums he can find (Think “United Nations General Assembly”). This isn’t a case of getting caught by “gotcha” journalists out of context; he really does seem to believe these things.
1. Most recently, Ahmadinejad told a real whopper about the 9/11 attacks just a few blocks from Ground Zero.
"Some segments within the American government orchestrated the attack to reverse the declining American economy, and its grips on the Middle East, in order to save the Zionist regime… The majority of the American people as well as most nations and politicians around the world agree with this view."
2. Iran is infamous for hanging its homosexuals from construction cranes in football stadiums. As far as the international community knows, they haven’t managed to murder them all… yet. Here’s the Iranian leader talking about homosexuality:
"In Iran we don't have homosexuals like in your country … In Iran we do not have this phenomenon. I don't know who's told you that we have this."
3. And of course, he has few kind words for Israel:
“Anybody who recognizes Israel will burn in the fire of the Islamic nation's fury”.
4. Here’s Ahmadinejad being as modest as he can be about his own impact on the world:
"I have traveled to all the continents except for one, and I know what is going on out there… The world is rapidly becoming Ahmadinejadized."
5. Suicide bombings have been a scourge in many nations for decades, killing innocent men, women and children without discrimination. Yet Ahmadinejad is actually proud of the Islamic Republic’s suicide bomber recruiting capabilities:
“Iran can recruit hundreds of suicide bombers a day. Suicide is an invincible weapon. Suicide bombers in this land showed us the way, and they enlighten our future.”