As many of you will be aware through today’s news reports, the Mountain Equipment Co-Op (MEC) Annual Meeting will be the target of a boycott resolution calling on the company to stop buying Israeli goods. If adopted, this non-binding resolution would set a terrible precedent. It is therefore critical that we work together to ensure its defeat.
What You Can Do
If you live in the Vancouver area and are a member in good standing of MEC, you are eligible to vote. Plan to attend the AGM and vote against the resolution to boycott Israeli goods.
If you are unable to attend the AGM, and even if you are NOT an MEC member, please take a moment to write to the MEC management. Please keep your letters positive and respectful, opposing the boycott resolution and stressing the fact that MEC already has an excellent policy on ethical sourcing which should not be changed.
Details appear below:
Call to Action on Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC)
Israel Boycott Resolution
Please Support Mountain Equipment Co-op’s
Ethical Sourcing Policy
A resolution calling on the Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) to cease purchasing products from Israeli manufacturers is being proposed at the MEC Annual General Meeting on Thursday, April 30. The resolution, which includes particularly odious characterizations of Israel as an apartheid state, is being proposed by a small but vocal group of MEC members.
The resolution is contrary to MEC’s established environmental and ethical sourcing policies, with which these Israeli companies are in full compliance.
Following is important information:
1. The meeting takes place Thursday, April 30, 2009; 6:00 p.m. (doors open at 5:15 pm) at the Segal School of Business, SFU Downtown, 500 Granville Street.
2. You must be a member in good standing of MEC to attend the meeting and must bring with you your membership card and two additional pieces of identification in order to be admitted to the AGM. If you and your spouse are members together only the member-of-record whose name is on the card can attend the meeting.
3. MEC has a long-established and excellent sourcing policy (www.mec.ca – follow links for Ethical Sourcing) which the board and management has a record of upholding. It is not the practice of MEC to take sides in political disputes, and the proposed resolution is not consistent with this practice and history. In that context our desired outcome is to demonstrate support for the existing policy and to defeat the proposed resolution.
4. If you plan to attend the meeting as an MEC member please contact the Canada-Israel Committee, Pacific Region office by phone at 604-622-4242 or by e-mail email@example.com to let us know. Provide your name and contact information so that we can contact you with further information in advance of the meeting.
5. If you are not an MEC member or cannot attend the meeting you can still be helpful by communicating your support for MEC’s existing sourcing policy to Denise Lawson, Chair, or David Labistour, CEO at 149 West 4th Avenue, Vancouver BC V5Y 4A6; 604-707-3300; or firstname.lastname@example.org
6. If you are not an MEC member but are available Thursday, April 30 and would still like to help counter the boycott resolution, please contact the CIC, Pacific Region office as noted above and we will be in touch.
It is important to note that the Mountain Equipment Co-op is a responsible organization with well-established governance and business practices. MEC is not anti-Israel or anti-Jewish. They are a co-operative with a broad and diverse membership, and some of its members are seeking to advance a resolution harmful to Israeli businesses that exhibit the highest standards of environmental and ethical practices. By acting in a thoughtful and disciplined manner we can defeat the resolution and uphold MEC’s existing policies.
For more information contact Shelley Rivkin at 604-257-5100 or email@example.comComments Policy