IYLP 2013 participants at the top of Masada, overlooking the Dead Sea
The Israel Young Leaders Program (IYLP) provides participants with a once in a lifetime opportunity to learn about Israel through first-hand experience in a holistic and intellectually honest fashion. Participants spend 7 days on the ground learning about Israeli history, society, politics, culture and the Arab-Israeli conflict through:
- Touring historical sites
- Meeting with politicians and journalists
- Interacting and travelling with Israeli student peers
IYLP is a highly competitive experiential learning initiative for students who demonstrate leadership in the areas of:
- Canadian politics (federal, provincial or municipal)
- Student politics
- Political advocacy/activism
IYLP is comprised of the following core elements:
- Pre-program education, including required readings, conference call discussions, and interactive webinars
- 7 day travel program in Israel, departing Toronto December 26, 2016 and returning to Toronto January 3, 2017
- Writing article or think piece on topic related to the program, Israel and/or conflict in Middle East
- Participation in post-travel discussions/events
The program will also provide participants with access to a diverse network of alumni.
- Meetings with Israeli and Palestinian academics, political figures, and experts
- Encounters with Israeli university students and international students studying in Israel
- Programs at Israeli universities both discussing academic issues, and providing students with a view into life in Israel, combined with exchanges/study opportunities
- Traveling to Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, the Dead Sea, and the Golan Heights
- Visiting holy sites, historical sites, museums, and kibbutzim
- Exploring disputed territories (Jerusalem, the Golan Heights, the security barrier)
- Experiencing Israeli culture through cuisine and nightlife
Only $750 CDN (this includes: Toronto-Tel Aviv flights, accommodations, 2 meals per day, transportation, and educational programs in Israel). Students are responsible for: travel to/from Toronto, 1 meal per day, spending money, and travel medical insurance.
- Open to Canadian citizens, with a valid passport (valid for 6 months from date of departure)
- Applicants must be enrolled in a full-time university program (undergraduate, graduate, or professional)
- Applicants must display political/leadership experience and academic excellence
- Acceptance will be based on an application process, interview and commitment to pre-travel education, Israel program participation and post-travel follow up
*Students eligible for programs through Taglit/Birthright/Canada-Israel Experience are not eligible for this program.
Please read the program requirements above carefully before completing your application. Participants must be willing to participate in all aspects of the program.
To apply, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 30, 2016:
- Email with subject line: Application for IYLP
- A copy of your CV
- Statement of interest in the program (maximum 500 words)
- Letter of reference. Letters should be emailed directly by referees to email@example.com
All documents are due September 30, 2016.
For additional questions or concerns, contact:
Government Relations and University Outreach
Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs
(613) 234 8271 x226