CIJA’s Campus team provides expertise, resources and issues-management support to Jewish and pro-Israel students across the country. Through a range of innovative resources and campaigns, CIJA empowers student leaders and local campus professionals to defend Israel, advocate on behalf of Jewish students, and form alliances with non-Jewish students on Canadian campuses. CIJA communicates with university faculty and administration across Canada to address community concerns and build bridges between Canadian and Israeli academic institutions.
Each year, CIJA provides grants to Canadian students who are interested in organizing Israel advocacy events on local university or college campuses. If you are hosting an event, and would like funding, please click here.
For more information please contact Jay Solomon.
New for this year, CIJA has launched a campus hotline to help you deal with issues that might arise on your campus.
What is CIJA doing on campus?
5 Ways CIJA is Empowering Jewish and Pro-Israel Students Across Canada
CIJA is the only pro-Israel organization in Canada that uses a multi-pronged advocacy strategy on campus, with proactive initiatives targeting students, faculty and university administrators.
- CIJA’s campus team works with Hillels and Jewish student groups across Canada to manage challenges, monitor anti-Israel activism, and share best practices.
- CIJA’s security team communicates with campus officials and Hillels across Canada to assess security needs and help ensure student safety.
- CIJA provides advice, resources, and support for students with academic complaints, security concerns, and other campus issues like anti-Israel demonstrations.
- CIJA trains students on how to run for student government and win campus votes – crucial to defend student rights and counter anti-Israel activism.
- CIJA’s #ThisIsIsrael and #ThisIsHamas campaigns provide hard-hitting facts through social media and printed materials, countering lies about Israel and the Jewish people.
- CIJA trains hundreds of students in media and communications techniques using strategic messaging based on extensive polling and focus-group research.
- CIJA works with pro-Israel campus organizations around the world – including key partners in the United States, Europe, and Israel – to monitor global trends and share effective strategies and programs.
- Israel’s detractors want the Jewish state to be defined solely by conflict and controversy. In addition to countering anti-Israel slander, CIJA gives students the confidence to stand proudly with Israel, sharing its extraordinary accomplishments.
- CIJA’s internationally-acclaimed Size Doesn’t Matter (SDM) campaign empower students to promote Israeli technology, culture, and human rights through social media, videos, events, 30,000+ giveaway products and fact cards, and innovative grassroots-driven activities hosted by SDM interns across Canada.
- CIJA brings more than 50 non-Jewish Canadian students, faculty, and administrators to Israel on fact-finding missions every year, providing firsthand knowledge of the challenges facing Israel and the values Canadians and Israelis share. These missions have been crucial in building relationships between CIJA and campus officials.
- CIJA maintains close relations with senior Canadian university officials, which is critical in advocating for Jewish students and enhancing Canada-Israel academic ties.
- CIJA builds relationships between Canadian and Israeli academics through joint research programs, study trips to Israel, faculty exchanges, and formal partnerships between universities. This strategy is positive for academia and a significant defeat for those calling for BDS (Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions) of Israel.
- In 2008, CIJA established Canadian Academics for Peace in the Middle East (CAP), an arms-length group of grassroots faculty across Canada. Today, CIJA continues to work with CAP, which is at the forefront of countering boycotts of Israel, supporting local Jewish students, and advocating for civility and peace on campus
After completing CIJA’s communications training, I was able to perfect my skill and now feel very confident articulating our message on campus. This training is invaluable.
Alexandra Brenner, VP Israel Awareness Committee, Carleton University, Ottawa
The ongoing support we receive from CIJA is invaluable in the work we do on campus. From professional development, to incident management, to beyond-the-conflict programming, CIJA is a partner we rely on deeply.
Naomi Mazer, Executive Director, Western Hillel
In December 2012, CIJA’s mission to Israel for young political leaders had a profound impact on my understanding of the Middle East. Just four months after returning from my trip with CIJA, I organized a successful initiative to repeal a boycott of Israel at the University of Regina Students’ Union. I’m proud to call myself a friend of Israel today. More importantly, I’m proud to have put my beliefs into action on campus – and to have done my part to ensure that our student union no longer endorses a blatantly discriminatory boycott campaign. CIJA gave me the tools I needed to make a difference.
Sean Wilson, Past Representative, University of Regina Students’ Union
Our colleagues at CIJA, both Lay and Professional, provide tremendous support to Hillel of Greater Toronto to ensure the quality of life for Jewish Students on University and College Campuses across the GTA. It is as a result of our collaboration with CIJA and in particular due to their insight, guidance and financial support, that we are able to better educate and more effectively engage both Jewish and non-Jewish Students in their support for Israel.
Marc Newburgh, Executive Director, Hillel of Greater Toronto
I finished the trip not only with increased understanding of the issues but also with an increased conviction to ensure that they are discussed and resolved in a manner that is moderate, balanced, and fair. For many participants, including myself, the trip was a life-changing experience that will have long-lasting effects on the choices we make after finishing school.
Blake Leew, MBA Student and CIJA mission participant, University of Calgary
The relationship between Hillel Montreal and CIJA is fantastic. We leverage our relationships and work so closely that Hillel staff feel at home in the CIJA-Quebec boardroom. Some great initiatives have come from our joint strategy reviews like the CHAI (CIJA Hillel Advocacy Internship). Like true partners, we push each other to be better, and the campuses across Montreal reap the rewards
Jeff Bicher, Executive Director, Hillel Montreal